Skip to main content

Long-Term Care


What help is available?

If you are found eligible, Choices for Care will help you pay for long-term care services in the setting of your choice. This could be in:

  • Your home or the home of another person;
  • An approved residential care home or assisted-living facility; or
  • An approved nursing home.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be a Vermont resident;
  • Be at least 65 years old, at least 18 years old with a physical disability, or eligible for Medicaid under Medicaid for Children and Adults rules;
  • Meet the financial criteria; and
  • Meet the clinical criteria for nursing home level of care.

For more information, visit the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living (DAIL) 

How do I apply?

  1. Complete the 202LTC application form:

    1. To print a copy click on: Application for Long-Term Care Medicaid; or
    2. Call 1-800-479-6151 and ask that a 202LTC be mailed to you.
  2. Mail your completed application to:
    Green Mountain Care
    Application and Document Processing Center
    280 State Drive
    Waterbury, VT  05671-1500

  3. Green Mountain Care will determine your financial eligibility:
    A worker will contact you to set up a phone interview to discuss your application and any documents you may need to provide.

  4. The Department of Disabilities, Aging & Independent Living (DAIL) will determine your clinical eligibility:
    A Long-Term Care Clinical Coordinator will contact you to set up a face-to-face meeting to assess your abilities and the level of care you need.

If you are found eligible for the program, your eligibility will be reviewed at least once a year.

Can I get help applying?

Yes. Help is available!

To get help with an application, contact one of the following:

Where can I get more information?

  • If you have questions about your financial eligibility:

    • Call 1-800-250-8427.
  • If you have questions about your clinical eligibility:

  • If you want more detailed information about Choices for Care:

What services are available in each setting?


  • Case management
  • Personal care services
  • Adult day centers
  • Respite for unpaid caregivers
  • Companionship
  • Emergency response
  • Assistive devices
  • Home modifications

Adult Family Care Home:

  • Case management
  • 24-hour care
  • Personal care services
  • Adult day centers
  • Companionship
  • Respite for unpaid caregivers

Residential Care Homes/Assisted-Living Facilities:

  • Case management
  • Nursing overview & assessment
  • Personal care services
  • Medication management
  • Recreational activities
  • 24/7 onsite supervision
  • Laundry services
  • Housekeeping services

Nursing Homes:

  • Room and board
  • Skilled nursing & assessment
  • Personal care
  • Medication management & Pharmacy services
  • Social worker
  • Recreational activities
  • 24/7 onsite nursing care & supervision
  • Laundry and housekeeping services
  • Transportation services
  • Physical, occupational, & speech therapy
  • Nutrition and dietary services

How do I apply for other health care programs?

You can learn about and apply for two other health care programs through DCF:

  1. Medicaid for the Aged, Blind or Disabled (MABD Medicaid); and
  2. Prescription Assistance.

For all other health care plans in Vermont contact Vermont Health Connect at 1-855-899-9600 or go to

How can I send in the requested verification documents for a new or review LTC application? 

To send in the requested documents, you can do one of the following:


Green Mountain Care

Application and Document Processing Center

280 State Drive

Waterbury, VT  05671-1500


Use the AHS Uploader: 

The Uploader website is located at Please click on the web-link for Uploader Instructions, which will guide you on how to set up a secure log-in account so you can send in documents securely.

Please note, the Uploader at this time can only be used to send in requested verification documents. 

Background: The Uploader is a new electronic document submission system, which is being deployed in a phased approach.  In November 2019 AHS launched the Uploader website statewide, which allowed applicants to send in requested documents electronically through the Uploader website.  We are now deploying the next phase of the Uploader implementation, which requires that all users have an Uploader secure log-in user account to send in documents.  


Drop off in a District Office.


Secure Fax:

802-241-0514 (directly to ADPC)