Skip to main content

Medicaid and the End of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency

When the federal government ends the COVID-19 public health emergency, Vermont will be required to see who can still get Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur. The public health emergency is not over. This page tells you what to do to get ready for the end of the public health emergency. Check back here for regular updates.

What to KNOW

What to do NOW

What happens NEXT

Partners & Providers

Vermont Unwinding Plan

This is very important!

Update your contact information to receive important updates, resources, and alerts. Log in to your account at or call 1-855-899-9600. Long Term Care (LTC) Medicaid members working with a specific eligibility specialist can update them directly or call Customer Support at 1-800-250-5427.

  • Make sure your mailing address, email address, and phone numbers are correct.
  • NEW! Add a cell phone number to your account - we want to text you with important reminders.

Take action to stay in charge of your Medicaid or Dr. Dynasaur coverage.

Have questions? Please call 1-855-899-9600 or write us at Stay up to date by liking us on Facebook or following us on Twitter.

What to know

Q: Are we still in a public health emergency, or PHE?

A: Yes. The PHE has been extended through January 2023.

Q: What does the PHE mean for me?

A: During the public health emergency, people can stay on Medicaid. States have the flexibility to make sure people keep their health insurance. It helps protect people from breaks in health insurance coverage and access to care.

Starting November 2021, Vermont Health Connect (VHC) asked new Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur applicants for income verification when needed. If you already have Medicaid or Dr. Dynasaur, you do not need to provide income verification.

Q: What is the PHE unwind?

A: The "unwind" is what happens when Medicaid goes back to its regular rules. When the PHE is declared over, Vermont will slowly return to regular renewal processes for Medicaid.

Q: How long will the unwind last?

A: The unwind period will extend over twelve months.

Q: When will my case be reviewed?

A: The review is called a redetermination process. Vermonters will receive their renewal notices at different times over the unwind period.

When it is your turn to renew, you will receive a notice in the mail. Look out for the envelope with the red stripe. If your Medicaid coverage is going to end because you are no longer eligible, you will get information on how to apply for other health insurance.

Q: Will my Medicaid be renewed automatically?

A: We will be able to process many Medicaid renewals automatically based on information available. In some situations, we will need to ask you for information about yourself and your family, like address, employment and income, age, and the number of people in your household.

Q: Will I be contacted about my Medicaid status?

A: The State of Vermont is committed to supporting Vermonters through this change. Your Medicaid won't stop without an opportunity to update your information. We will mail you more information about these changes when it is your time to renew coverage. It is important that you provide the needed information when you're contacted.

Q: What if I am enrolled in Medicaid for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (MABD), a Medicare Savings Program (MSP), the Healthy Vermonters Programs (HVP) or VPharm?

A: Just like Medicaid for Children and Adults (MCA) and Dr. Dynasaur, if you are enrolled in one of these programs you can renew your coverage during the unwinding period. If someone is no longer eligible for their current program, they will be screened for all other possible coverage.


What to do now

Q: What can I do now?

A: Make sure we know how to reach you. Update your address, phone number and e-mail. Also tell us if your personal circumstances change. We want to know about things like changes in income or a change in who lives in your house. Any changes may affect your coverage. You can report these changes online or call us at 1-855-899-9600.

If you have Long Term Care (LTC) Medicaid, and work with a specific eligibility specialist, you can update them directly or call Customer Support at 1-800-250-5427.

Q: I'm uninsured and worried about healthcare costs if I get sick. How can I get insurance?

A: We offer several kinds of health insurance. Apply now to find out if you are eligible for any of these options. (a) Vermonters eligible for Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur can apply and enroll at any time. (b) Vermonters can also get a Qualified Health Plan at 3 different times:

  1. Any time you meet certain income rules.
  2. During Open Enrollment. This year it runs from November 1, 2022, to January 15, 2023. If you sign up by December 15, your insurance will start on January 1, 2023. Please call us at 1-855-899-9600 to sign up.
  3. During Special Enrollment if you have a life change. This period lasts 60 days from the date of the life change.

Q: I have Medicaid coverage, but think it's time for my annual review, will I lose coverage?

A: No. Medicaid renewals are on hold during the emergency period. Your renewal will be scheduled at some point through the unwind period.

Q: My children are on Dr. Dynasaur. I can't pay now - will my children lose their coverage?

A: No. We will not send a bill for Dr. Dynasaur premiums during the public health emergency or during the unwind period. No one will lose Dr. Dynasaur coverage if you can't pay during this time. After the emergency ends, you will get Dr. Dynasaur bills again and should plan to pay your monthly Dr. Dynasaur bill like you used to.

Q: I got a notice from Vermont Health Connect asking for documents. What should I do?

A: Carefully read the entire notice to understand what is being asked. The notice might ask you for documents. It is important to send these documents. They may be required for you to get or maintain coverage. If you have any questions, call 1-855-899-9600. There are many options for sending us documents:

  • Mail copies to - Vermont Health Connect, Customer Service, Department of Vermont Health Connect, 280 State Drive, NOB 1 South, Waterbury, VT 05671-8100;
  • Take pictures and use the secure document uploader; or
  • Bring copies of proof to and Economic Services Division district office.

If you need help to upload documents, contact a local Assister. If you need to scan or print documents, use a library or local business with computer and printing services.

Q: How can I make sure I didn't miss my notice?

A: Once mailed, the notice will be posted on your Vermont Health Connect account. You can also call 1-855-899-9600 to determine the status of your health insurance.


What happens next

Q: What happens if I lose, or a family member loses, Medicaid or Dr. Dynasaur? Can I choose an insurance plan?

A: Yes. We want you and your family to get and stay covered. If you are up for a renewal during the unwind period and can't stay on Medicaid, you or your family could enroll in a Qualified Health Plan. This is called a Special Enrollment Period. You may also get financial assistance to help pay for it. You will get a notice in the mail giving you instructions on what to do.

Q: Who else can help me understand my health care options?

A: There are specially trained and certified professionals throughout Vermont who can help you find the right coverage. These are called Assisters. You can find help in your area by clicking here:

You can also ask help from Vermont Legal Aid's Health Care Advocate by calling 1-800-917-7787.


Partners & Providers

When the federal public health emergency ends, Vermonters enrolled in Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur will have their eligibility redetermined. To ensure these Vermonters stay insured, we are asking partners, advocates, providers, and friends to help spread the word. Many Vermonters will need to take action to continue to have health insurance coverage.

There are many different ways for Vermonters enrolled in Medicaid to update their contact information with us:

  • Medicaid members who have an online account can log in to
  • Medicaid members without online access can call Customer Support toll-free at 1-855-899-9600.
  • Long Term Care (LTC) Medicaid members working with a specific eligibility specialist can update them directly or call Customer Support at 1-800-250-5427.
  • In-person Assisters are also available to help with updating Medicaid application information. Find an Assister in your area by clicking here.