Vermont Global Commitment to Health Waiver Documents
The Global Commitment to Health is a Demonstration Waiver authorized pursuant to Section 1115(a) by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
The initial Global Commitment to Health (GC) and Choices for Care (CFC) demonstrations were approved in September 2005, effective October 1, 2005. The GC demonstration was extended for three years, effective January 1, 2011, and again for three years effective October 2, 2013. The CFC demonstration was extended for 5 years effective October 1, 2010. The following amendments have been made to the GC demonstration:
- 2007: A component of the Catamount Health program was added, enabling the state to provide a premium subsidy to Vermonters who had been without health insurance coverage for a year or more, have income at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL), and who do not have access to cost effective employer-sponsored insurance, as determined by the State.
- 2009: The state extended Catamount Health coverage to Vermonters at or below 300 percent of the FPL.
- 2011: Inclusion of a palliative care program for children who are at or below 300 percent of the FPL and have been diagnosed with life limiting illnesses that would preclude them from reaching adulthood. This program allows children to receive curative and palliative care services such as expressive therapy, care coordination, family training and respite for caregivers.
- 2012: CMS provided authority for the State to eliminate the $75 inpatient admission copay and to implement nominal co-payments for the Vermont Health Access Plan (VHAP) as articulated in the Medicaid State Plan.
- 2013: CMS approved the extension of the GC demonstration which included sun-setting the authorities for most of the 1115 Expansion Populations because they would be eligible for Marketplace coverage beginning January 1, 2014. The renewal also added the New Adult Group to the demonstration effective January 1, 2014. Finally, the renewal also included premium subsidies for individuals enrolled in a qualified health plan whose income is at or below 300 percent of the FPL.
- 2015: As of January 30, 2015, the GC demonstration was amended to include authority for the former Choices for Care demonstration. In addition, the State received section 1115 authority to provide full Medicaid State Plan benefits to pregnant women who are determined presumptively eligible.
- 2017: Global Commitment demonstration is extended from January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2021.